Betreft: [PROXYPER] Proxy setup

Gerald Ebberink g.h.p.ebberink at it.hen.nl
Mon May 21 15:19:13 EDT 2001

>>> Stephen Berg <sberg at pangaealink.com> 05/21 4:39  >>>
I've read the readme and the FAQ-o-matic and still have a question about
personal proxy setup.  If I set up my .ini file to use port 80 along with
the normal port 2064 wouldn't this conflict if the machine in question is
already running a web server using port 80?

I sent the following email to the rc5 list and then realized it should
actually be on this list which I just subscribed to.

Try an other port than 80.like port 23 which is normally not used (and if it IS used...it's only to logon your home pc which is something you probably don't want at all)

I have a proxy set up on a RH Linux system.  I'd like for it to answer
requests but right now it seems that when I try to do a fetch/flush from
my work computer it cannot connect.  The work computer is behind a
firewall/proxy.  I think the problem is the firewall and/or proxy at work
are not allowing the connection to port 2064 on my personal proxy machine.
I can't set the proxy machine to listen on port 80 because that will
interfere with a web server I'm running.

Is there an easy way to fix this?  I've browsed the FAQ-o-matic and
couldn't find anything that seemed appropriate to this problem.

One thought I had was to set up a virtual webserver on a high port number
like 8080 or something similar and set the proxy to handle things via
http.  Would that solve this problem?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net