[PROXYPER] proxies down or what?

Roman Trunov proxyma at tula.net
Thu Mar 14 12:35:13 EST 2002

waldo kitty wrote:

> almost sounds like a program logic flaw... kinda like in netscape...
> once you look up a site, netscape also retains the same ip number... on
> OS/2, windows, and *nix platforms... one would think that if it were the
> OS doing it, that one would have to actually reboot the whole machine...

Not sure about Netscape, but in case of personal proxy IP address is
remembered by OS. But: cache is kept "per application" state - when you
terminate the proxy, his cache is gone. Also, size of cache is
relatively small - about 10 entries. If program constantly looking for
different hosts, cache will expire soon and everything is Ok. But proxy
always looking for single "us.v27.distributed.net" - and always gets
cached answer. (Note: this address contains full list of IPs, buf pproxy
can use only first one...)

I patched IP stack on my computer do disable DNS caching at all, but I
do not think this is a good solution for everyone...

Roman

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net