Whinging? was [rc5] MacOS the top? Funny

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sat Aug 2 02:16:37 EDT 1997

>Date: Thu, 31 Jul 97 22:17:51 -0400
>From: Joe Zitzelberger <zberger at ldl.net>
>
>>[snip]
>
>The only complaints I've seen about the Mac v2.000 build had the headers
>'Rebecca and Rowland' attached....

There have been a few others - but this lack of information is one of the
problems.  The v2.000 Mac client had *major* flaws that affected *lots* of
people (things like a 15% - 50% slowdown on 68K Macs compared to v1, being
unable to report blocks, etc), but it seemed that very few people were
willing to admit the problems existed (it works fine here - you must be
doing it wrong), provide more information about when the problems occurred,
or try and deal with them.

For those who don't know, there's now an RC5 Mac mailing list:

SUBSCRIBE  rc5mac   Your_FirstName   Your_LastName
Messages to rc5mac at signalinc.com

And an RC5 Mac web site: http://rc5-mac.base.org

[snip]
>Perhaps you should look into an init conflict or some strange hardware
>you might have....

Oddly enough, I did look into all of that - I had no help from the client
developers (they took the line that `It works fine - stop whinging' which
is why I started getting bitter and twisted).  *Lots* of people had exactly
the same problems as me - including the people who developed the v2.002
client (6 PowerMacs exhibiting exactly the same block reporting problem as
my Performa 475).  The main fault was that if the client couldn't get a net
connection when it wanted one to report a block, it just screwed up.

Rowland.