[rc5] What will happend

David Hubbard dhubbard at peds-cme.med.usf.edu
Sat Aug 2 15:24:44 EDT 1997

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Costin RAIU wrote:

> Irwan Hadi wrote:
> >
> > What will happen if the EXACT key find ? is the program (rc5v2.exe) will
> > tell us "beeepppp YOU LUCKY", or we'll know if we HAVE find the EXACT key
> > after we send it to the proxy server, or anything ???
> > ----
> I think that displaying some sort of "YOU ARE THE WINNER" message is not
> a very good idea. For example, if my clients says "You found da Key HERE
> it is: 87A341AB679810"
> I will simply put the key in a email to rsa.com and win myself the
> $10000 prize.
> That's why I think there's no Contratulations!" message in the client.

I asked that a while back.  I think the answer was that nothing happens.
I believe the clients only know how to mark keys as possible winners and
then the bovine proxy servers check them when they come back to confirm.
If it ends up being the magic key, then the organizers get in contact with
the email address that returned the key and if that doesn't work, they try
to find the admin for the ip address of the machine that returned it.  Of
course I could be totally wrong about that.

Before I go, let me throw in my little "Where's the v2 personal proxy?"
blurb!! :-)

See ya,

Dave
dhubbard at eng.usf.edu