[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #69

Arvin Meyer onsite at esinet.net
Sat Aug 2 16:03:40 EDT 1997

That's the difference between college kids (who know more<g>) and those of
us professionals who've been in the business for years. I may not be able
to write bitslice code (yet) but I can understand and coordinate the
efforts of 20 who do, and make sure the client gets an efficient, working
product in a reasonable amount of time.

I am reminded of something my dad used to say: "When I was 18, I was
smarter than my father. I knew everything, and set out to conquer the
world. By the time I reached 40, I was amazed at how much my father had
learned."

                   Arvin Meyer

              On-Site Solutions

 "Developing results-oriented databases for companies
   that demand a tangible return on investment."

e-mail: onsite at esinet.net
phone:  (804) 973-9140
http://www.esinet.net/cabg/consult/onsite.html

----------
> From: root <marcus at dfwmm.net>
> To: rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: Re: [rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #69
> Date: Saturday, August 02, 1997 1:54 PM
>
> Cayce Will wrote:
> >
> > How many people here have actually tried to write, compile, debug,
make
> > functional and then release code - but have it written distributed
between
> > umpteen people?
>
> I make a living doing it. Any project of greater than trivial
> complexity(which for instance the personal proxy is not) is
> going to _require_ the coordinated efforts of more than one
> person IF it is going to be done in a "reasonable", pronounce
> that as "profitable", period of time.
>
> >  It is a nightmare to say the least.
>
> Not at all. You just have to do it right. Lots of us do it every
> day and enjoy it.
>
> >  Let the Bovine Core
> > do their work as they see fit.
>
> Why? What is supposed to be my motivation for accepting unreasonable
> delays and buggy code at the same time? If the workload is too great,
> they should farm it out.
> ----
rc5' in the body.