[rc5] Several Issues...

Arvin Meyer onsite at esinet.net
Sun Aug 3 02:07:16 EDT 1997

> From: Stephen Langasek <vorlon at dodds.net>
> To: rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: Re: [rc5] Several Issues...
> Date: Saturday, August 02, 1997 11:25 PM (SNIP)
> Because quite frankly, the NSA doesn't *need* our help to do their
> cracking.  They're doing plenty of it already, much faster than we are,
> they just won't admit to it.  As wonderfully large (prohibitively so,
our
> opponents like to point out) as this effort seems, it's a drop in the
> bucket compared to the processor power that a corporation (or, say, the
US
> government) could put together.

You bet they don't need our help. You ought to see the notes to users at
Los Alamos, asking them not to use the Paragons to compile, rather to use
the SGI Crays and Sun's instead (and the list of those is at least 10). I
didn't hack my way in either, this is right on their webs. Scary as hell.

Read the intro from one of the *smaller* machines (only 1854 processors)
intro page at Sandia Labs:

http://www.cs.sandia.gov/mpcrl/iparagon/introduction.html

Have fun!
Arvin Meyer