Whinging? was [rc5] MacOS the top? Funny

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sun Aug 3 02:37:08 EDT 1997

>ate: Fri, 1 Aug 97 20:36:40 -0400
>From: Joe Zitzelberger <zberger at ldl.net>
>Subject: Re: Whinging?  was [rc5] MacOS the top?  Funny
>
>On 8/1/97 8:16 PM Rebecca and Rowland blurted:
>
>>>Date: Thu, 31 Jul 97 22:17:51 -0400
>>>From: Joe Zitzelberger <zberger at ldl.net>

>>>The only complaints I've seen about the Mac v2.000 build had the headers
>>>'Rebecca and Rowland' attached....
>>
>>There have been a few others - but this lack of information is one of the
>>problems.  The v2.000 Mac client had *major* flaws that affected *lots* of
>>people (things like a 15% - 50% slowdown on 68K Macs compared to v1, being
>>unable to report blocks, etc), but it seemed that very few people were
>>willing to admit the problems existed (it works fine here - you must be
>>doing it wrong), provide more information about when the problems occurred,
>>or try and deal with them.
>
>Then you should stick with build 1 on 68k macs....

Which was practically unusable on my Mac, and therefore a stupid idea.

>I think I heard someone
>mention that the v2 client was optimized for PPC, a completely reasonable
>thing, with 10x the preformance of 68ks.

Perfectly reasonable - but it slowed down the 68K Macs, which is stupid.
68K Macs are now 3 to 4 times faster using the v2.002 client, which works
okay.

>>For those who don't know, there's now an RC5 Mac mailing list:

>>SUBSCRIBE  rc5mac   Your_FirstName   Your_LastName
>>Messages to rc5mac at signalinc.com
>>
>>And an RC5 Mac web site: http://rc5-mac.base.org
>>
>>[snip]
>>>Perhaps you should look into an init conflict or some strange hardware
>>>you might have....
>>
>>Oddly enough, I did look into all of that - I had no help from the client
>>developers (they took the line that `It works fine - stop whinging' which
>>is why I started getting bitter and twisted).  *Lots* of people had exactly
>>the same problems as me - including the people who developed the v2.002
>>client (6 PowerMacs exhibiting exactly the same block reporting problem as
>>my Performa 475).  The main fault was that if the client couldn't get a net
>>connection when it wanted one to report a block, it just screwed up.
>
>I ran into that once, but that's not something the RC5 client can
>control, you have to allow it (and everything else) to dial out when they
>want network services from your PPP, SLIP or router software...

And when you can't do that, you've had it - if the v2 client didn't get a
connection when it wanted it, you couldn't report that block until it had
checked the next block...

Quite why the coders decided to provide code which ignored the needs of
most modem connected people is beyond me

>another
>solution include staying connected 24/7 (not possible with some ISPs).

Which ones?  A can do it, but the telephone bill would bankrupt me.

Rowland.