[rc5] What will happend

Costin RAIU craiu at usa.net
Sun Aug 3 13:53:36 EDT 1997

Murray Stokely wrote:
> RSA wouldn't believe you.
Suppose that I found the key, and I'm the first to report it.
It seems to me that they will believe me very well.

> They know that the key is going to come
> from a massively distributed effort, and they know that people will
> recompile the programs to only write to the screen when the key is
> found, not reporting it..  (obviously)
If the programs says "I found the key" I can look on the screen to see
what
block was currently tested. The, using my own program (not in violation
with any
contract) I'll search for key, then report it to RSA. Therefore, no
message at
all should be printed when the key is found. After reporting the key to
RSA,
I will post the key to a public newgroup, then run ./rc5v2 -flush.
No one can associate me with the computer that found the key if I don't
want to.
If anyone else will come and say, "WE FOUND THE KEY !" then I'll simply
say that
they took my key which was posted to the newsgroup, and they try to
steal my
money.
However, as I said before, this is not my intention. I don't even care
about
the $1000 too much, altought I could use a new, 21" monitor :)
(that's why I have 6 computers running the clients day and night)

bye,
c0s

Costin RAIU, Data Security Expert

E-MAIL  : BUSINESS mailto:craiu at gecad.ro, PERSONAL craiu at usa.net
WWW     : http://www.gecad.ro/~craiu/
PGP Key : http://www.gecad.ro/~craiu/craiu.asc (or from WWW.PGP.COM)
KeyID   : 2048/DD35A295 Costin RAIU <craiu at gecad.ro>
Key fingerprint = FD 14 2A 90 64 41 58 9A  6B 34 47 D8 C5 E2 F4 5C