[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Costin RAIU craiu at usa.net
Sun Aug 3 21:49:27 EDT 1997

Timothy I Mattox wrote:

> To answer a few questions that Costin RAIU asked...
Great info, thanks. About the MasPar client, unfortunately I can't use
it.
(no idle time at all avaible and only 4k procs. -> probably slower than
a Dual Pentium Pro/200
if your calculations are correct - and I think they are)

> A Paragon is a MIMD (Multiple Instruction streams, Multiple Data streams)
> machine.  A Cray T3E is also a MIMD, not a vector machine.  A T3E would
Doest that mean that every processor is running his own piece of
operating system ?

> not perform well on the RC5 since it is based on the DEC Alpha chip, which
> does not have a hardware rotate instruction.
Do you have any ideea why's the PPC 604e client so fast ? (fast << && >>
?)

--

bye,
c0s

Costin RAIU, Data Security Expert

E-MAIL  : BUSINESS mailto:craiu at gecad.ro, PERSONAL craiu at usa.net
WWW     : http://www.gecad.ro/~craiu/
PGP Key : http://www.gecad.ro/~craiu/craiu.asc (or from WWW.PGP.COM)
KeyID   : 2048/DD35A295 Costin RAIU <craiu at gecad.ro>
Key fingerprint = FD 14 2A 90 64 41 58 9A  6B 34 47 D8 C5 E2 F4 5C