[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

root marcus at dfwmm.net
Mon Aug 4 21:08:13 EDT 1997

Eric P. Anderson wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Murray Stokely wrote:
>
> > It probably would have been easier to point out that his entire
> > argument that RISC is better was pointless especially in this
> > context.  CISC machines such as x86's are outperforming RISC machines
> > such as alphas that run at over twice the clockspeed.
>
> This is nonsense.  Please show me an x86 chip that can outrun a 600
> mhz Alpha.

To put it simply, post your keyrates and we'll compare. Meanwhile a dual
PPro200 will turn 960+Kkeys/sec and the two PPros will cost less than
the single Alpha.

Or, I will, as soon as you can show me an Alpha that costs less than
$100.
Like my CISC(6x86) CPU does.

If you want to be specific, here's $3000. Show me the fastest system
that that you can buy for that amount. I guarantee that you won't buy
an Alpha based machine.

If price was no object, I still wouldn't buy an Alpha, I'd buy an IBM
NEC, a Cray, or perhaps one of those massively parallel PPro monsters.
Especially if the benchmark was the RC5 cracker.