[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Bryan Talbot btalbot at qualcomm.com
Mon Aug 4 19:39:21 EDT 1997

I beleive (read hope) that his referance of "in this context" means
running the rc5 client which does indeed run much slower on Alphas than
on x86 machines.  My Pentium 133 does about 170Kkps, while the 233MHz
Alphas at work can only manage about 130Kkps.  The same is true for a
166 MHz UltraSparc we have.

bennett_t1 at popmail.firn.edu wrote:

> At 07:53 PM 8/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Murray Stokely wrote:
> >
> >> It probably would have been easier to point out that his entire
> >> argument that RISC is better was pointless especially in this
> >> context.  CISC machines such as x86's are outperforming RISC
> machines
> >> such as alphas that run at over twice the clockspeed.
>
> Wha???  Someone slap this person... Benchmarks show RISC chips of
> lower
> clock speed outrunning CISC's of higher clock speed.  That's basic
> knowledge.  Where in the nether hell did you dig this fact up?
>
> >This is nonsense.  Please show me an x86 chip that can outrun a 600
> >mhz Alpha.
>
> Exactly.
>
> ----
> rc5' in the body.

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this message, in any
manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the
universe.  Although no liability is implied herein, the reader
is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat
death of the universe.