[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Arvin Meyer onsite at esinet.net
Tue Aug 5 00:43:45 EDT 1997

> From: Gary Jackson <bargle at umiacs.umd.edu>
> To: rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: Re: [rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A
> Date: Monday, August 04, 1997 10:52 PM
>
> On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Arvin Meyer wrote:
>
> > In my environment, even free, Linux would be more expensive than NT,
> > because my users can't run Excel, Word, or Access on the Linux
machines.
> > Their productivity suffers by a huge factor, and that's the bottom
line in
> > a business atmosphere. It doesn't matter how good anything is if they
> > can't use it productively.
>
> So instead you bend over and spread em' wide for Microsoft?
>
> Thats the problem with the modern world... We are too willing to give up
> freedom for ease and safety.

I don't notice any loss of freedom, just good sense in choosing the right
tool for the job. No business on earth, has the time or money to invest in
training their staff on some "off the wall" spreadsheet with 1/2 the
functionality of Excel, even if it's free.

I do however, notice the very pronounced bulge of my wallet and bank
account. Obviously, you're quite young and unaware of the real world. You
will soon find out that "Money talks and Bullshit walks"

I also notice that you are a U of Md student. My nephew is a colleague of
yours, and a die-hard Unix fanatic. His father (a highly paid consultant)
and I recently had a good laugh about a Unix installation he did. In the
time it takes him to install, configure, and debug a Unix webserver, I
have a complete NT network installed (3 servers and 18 workstations)
complete with the full applications software package, and the user and
group accounts for 20 users. He is extremely bright, fast, and has much
more knowledge than I do ...or does he?

Enjoy your naivete while you can.

                          Arvin Meyer

                      On-Site Solutions
Database Development - NT Systems Engineering

"It's not 'Where do you want to go today?'
     it's where your company has to be tomorrow!"

e-mail: onsite at esinet.net