[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Murray Stokely murray at cdrom.com
Mon Aug 4 22:48:44 EDT 1997

  The Alpha blows the PPro out of the water with its amazing floating
point performance.  And yes, the 21264 will be awesome.  For most uses
however, such as running internet servers, integer performance and I/O
bandwidth are the main factors.

% The only reason why the Pentium Pro beats the Alpha in terms of RC5 speed
% is because the Alpha doesn't have a rotate left instruction.  In terms of
% normal system performance, the Alpha blows the ppro out of the water.  I
% think that the next generation Alpha (the 21264) is supposed to add a
% rotate left instruction.
%
% ----
%