[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Gary Jackson bargle at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Aug 5 02:16:34 EDT 1997

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Arvin Meyer wrote:

> I don't notice any loss of freedom, just good sense in choosing the right
> tool for the job. No business on earth, has the time or money to invest in
> training their staff on some "off the wall" spreadsheet with 1/2 the
> functionality of Excel, even if it's free.

Fine, let the moron lusers use Win95 or whatever, thats what it was
written for.  You'll feel the loss in freedom when there is no more
opportunity to "choose the right tool for the job", because the only thing
left is the behemoth Microsoft.

> I do however, notice the very pronounced bulge of my wallet and bank
> account. Obviously, you're quite young and unaware of the real world. You
> will soon find out that "Money talks and Bullshit walks"

Your money does not impress me.  I have little regard for people who do
the wrong thing for profit.

Microsoft only sells because cowards like you are to afraid to buck the
trend and say "No!".  I am fully aware that life "out there" sucks unless
one kowtows to the party line.  What I try to do is make it so that I have
a choice when I sally forth in to the real world in search of a job.

> I also notice that you are a U of Md student. My nephew is a colleague of
> yours, and a die-hard Unix fanatic. His father (a highly paid consultant)
> and I recently had a good laugh about a Unix installation he did. In the
> time it takes him to install, configure, and debug a Unix webserver, I
> have a complete NT network installed (3 servers and 18 workstations)
> complete with the full applications software package, and the user and
> group accounts for 20 users. He is extremely bright, fast, and has much
> more knowledge than I do ...or does he?

The situations are totally incomparable.  Anyone can slap down a network
with stock distributions of software.  If the operating system comes w/
the hardware, it usually involves editing exactly one file, or changing
one dialog box, or whatever, then plugging everything in to the switch.

IMHO, Microsoft doesn't make superior products.  The only reason for their
recent success is their good, aggressive marketing.

--
					Gary