[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Arvin Meyer onsite at esinet.net
Tue Aug 5 10:39:07 EDT 1997

----------
> From: Dirk Moerenhout <dmoerenh at reference.be>
> To: rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: Re: [rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A
> Date: Tuesday, August 05, 1997 5:13 AM
	(SNIP)
> Hum you must be kidding. If he is that slow he is plain stupid. I do
> install both NT and Unices and I can assure you that I am well capable
of
> installing a Unix webserver as fast as a NT one.

I have to defend my nephew here. He is neither slow, nor stupid. My IQ is
153, and I'm sure he eclipses that. He could use a keyboard before he
could write (at 4 years of age) He was writing complex fractal code at 10.
He cracked security on a Novell server and hacked his way past a dongle at
age 14, in less than 1/2 hour. He's 19 now, and as good as they come. On
the occaison I mentioned, he was setting up NetBSD which does take longer
to configure.

> Enjoy yours while it lasts. I can easily find hundreds of things
> Unix-admins find normal you couldn't dream of doing. I can easily
> administrate all my unices from this one box, using secure ways to
> connect to them and without having to compromise their security. And
with
> administation I mean everything. Including reconfiguring, installing new

> software, ... While you're trying to do all that, give your server
> located 1000 miles away a new IP and install a new virtual server on it.
> My record is less than 5 minutes for that, yours?

All that can be done from NT, and from any machine in the system (with
admin permissions set, of course) I do mostly database work, not very much
work in the way of setting up webservers, but I tried setting up a virtual
server on my server to see how long it would take. Took me 11 minutes for
the first one, and and a little under 8 for the second. With practice, I
think I could equal your time.

I'm not saying that NT is better, or faster. I am saying it's more
productive in a business setting. I build and install databases on
business systems, and train users how to use them. The users are very
knowledgeable about their work, but not about computers. A GUI based
networking system (of which NT is the best by far) makes that job easier
for me, and for them. A company with 25 or 30 users needs a full time
admin with Unix, but with NT they can have a power user handle much of the
day to day work, while doing other tasks, and bring me in as a consultant
as they need me. Most businesses could care less about which system is
running. They care about ease of use, user productivity, and overall
hardware and software costs. In other words the bottom line.

Arvin Meyer
onsite at esinet.net