[rc5] Re: CISC/RISC & Bovine

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.net
Tue Aug 5 10:00:54 EDT 1997

At 17:16 05.08.1997, Michael Burman wrote:
>From: G. Armour Van Horn <vanhorn at whidbey.net>
>>I've got a 266MHz Pentium II here churning out 630k keys/second, while the
>>250MHz 604e is going through 669k.
>
>My friend gets over 750KKeys/sec with Pentium II 266MHz. Something wrong,
>eh?
>---
>The European RC5-56 Cracking effort:
>http://www.rc5.cyberian.org/

>From your signature I'm assuming your friend is running the Cyberian
client, alleged to currently be faster than the Bovine client, but not
available for the Macintosh. The two numbers I posted are the same version
of the Bovine client, and track closely with the results posted on the
client speed page.

I eagerly look for tests that are rationally comparable between the two
platforms, and though I don't pretend that the RC5 effort is necessarily
predictive as a benchmark, it fits with the general perception that the
604e has a speed advantage over the Pentium II. For one test that uses a
real-world application that is carefully developed for both platforms,
check out the page in my signature.

I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with the information you report, but I'm
not sure we really need to get into it.

Van