[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Artimage nelsonl at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Aug 5 12:34:13 EDT 1997

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, root wrote:

> If you want to be specific, here's $3000. Show me the fastest system
> that that you can buy for that amount. I guarantee that you won't buy
> an Alpha based machine.

Actually Digital just announced a new series of Alphas the 164pc's that
are quite a bit cheaper than their other lines. A 433 Mhz Alpha would run
you about $2500, that includes everything you need. How they managed these
price cuts was too take off the L2 on chip cache, this makes the chip
about %33 smaller. So you can actually buy an Alpha for under 3k.

Artimage.-