[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Marc Sissom msissom at dnaent.com
Tue Aug 5 13:03:49 EDT 1997

At 08:57 AM 8/5/97 -0700, you wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Murray Stokely wrote:
>>
>>   I always thought PPC chips were hybid as opposed to true RISC like
>> SPARCS and Alphas.  Can anyone with more PPC knowledge shed some light
>> on this for me?
>>

>Nope. PPC chips are pure RISC. Always have been.

Ha! Now things get interesting. Define pure RISC.

Is it memory access limited to register load-store operations?
 The PPC abides by this - almost. The single precision FP
 load/store instructions don't just load or store. They load
 and convert or convert and store. So here's a CISC instruction
 that's built into a "pure" RISC proc.

Is it all single cycle instruction execution?
 The PPC does not stick to this(lsw)

Is it fixed instruction-opcode mapping?
 Nah, refences to r0 often produce the result "0" rather than the
 contents of r0(lhzx).

Is it large register arrays?
 yep, relatively large anyway.

Or is it just a Reduced instruction set? Reduced relative to what?
The Alpha instruction set is even more reduced than the PPC. Is it
a "purer" RISC?

  Marc Sissom               | Design Engineer
  DNA Enterprises, Inc.     | Phone: 972/644-3301
  269 W. Renner Parkway     | Fax: 972/644-6338
  Richardson, Texas 75080   | http://www.dnaent.com