[rc5] getting rid of the hidden client

Rocket Socks Eric.S.Smith at williams.edu
Tue Aug 5 23:59:45 EDT 1997

Okay, I asked this before.  I apologize ahead of time for not remembering
it.  I have about 15 comptuers now running the Win hidden client.  They
all need to be updated and many of them are running two processes at the
same time for various different reasons.  One of those reasons being
thatlast time I asked this question someone pointed out that in the README
file it said that -uninstall would do just that... well, I can't speak for
other people's systems, but on these it just installed another instance of
itself.  not cool.
Several people told me the registry path to get rid of it, but I didn't
save the message b/c I figured the -uninstall would work.  I did a find
for about 50 different variables that I thought it might fall under in the
registry, but I couldn't find it - I even looked manually at about 150
different areas.  If there is a mailing list archive, I can't look it up
via that right now b/c the whole rc5.distributed.net site seems to be down
(for me at least on 4 different places on campus).

I'm perfectly happy wiht the clients that are out (except that I could add
50 more comptuers if there was a hidden Mac client), and the stats don't
bother me too much - they are just an easy way to check which computers
are having trouble on our net (in regards to not running the rc5 client
that is).

So any help would be grand, and again, my apologies for the redundant
messsage.

thanks,

Eric Smith
http://wso.williams.edu/~esmith/