[rc5] getting rid of the hidden client

Sanford Olson sanford at msn.fullfeed.com
Wed Aug 6 00:08:38 EDT 1997

At 10:59 PM 8/5/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Okay, I asked this before.  I apologize ahead of time for not remembering
>it.  I have about 15 comptuers now running the Win hidden client.  They
>all need to be updated and many of them are running two processes at the
>same time for various different reasons.  One of those reasons being
>thatlast time I asked this question someone pointed out that in the README
>file it said that -uninstall would do just that... well, I can't speak for
>other people's systems, but on these it just installed another instance of
>itself.  not cool.
>Several people told me the registry path to get rid of it, but I didn't
>save the message b/c I figured the -uninstall would work.  I did a find
>for about 50 different variables that I thought it might fall under in the
>registry, but I couldn't find it - I even looked manually at about 150
>different areas.  If there is a mailing list archive, I can't look it up
>via that right now b/c the whole rc5.distributed.net site seems to be down
>(for me at least on 4 different places on campus).
>
>I'm perfectly happy wiht the clients that are out (except that I could add
>50 more comptuers if there was a hidden Mac client), and the stats don't
>bother me too much - they are just an easy way to check which computers
>are having trouble on our net (in regards to not running the rc5 client
>that is).
>
>So any help would be grand, and again, my apologies for the redundant
>messsage.
>
>thanks,
>
>Eric Smith

Eric,
Well I played with the RC5V2P5H.EXE hidden client on my Win95 machine and
you're right...  It's damn goofy with the -install and -uninstall switches.
 After installing/uninstalling itself to/from the registry, it launches in
and starts crunching keys.  However, the -uninstall works, but it does
leave you with two instances of the program running.  You need to shutdown
and restart (or perhaps use some kind of "kill" program to kill the running
clients).

As far as registry mucking goes, I found it in the registry pretty quickly
using REGEDIT.  I used the Edit/Find menu item (or Ctrl-F) and searched on
"RC5V2P5H".  I figured that to run the client on start up, it would need
the client's filename, and voila, there it was.  If you couldn't find it,
it was probably because the -uninstall worked, but the client keeps running
until you shutdown and restart.

- Sanford