[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Sanford Olson sanford at msn.fullfeed.com
Wed Aug 6 00:58:46 EDT 1997

At 01:29 AM 8/6/97 +0200, you wrote:
>On 05-Aug-97 Sanford Olson wrote:
>
>>>Ok, it is right that the instruction-set-architecture of the x86-chips
>>>is not the newest. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it so, that the
>
>>Not that it matters, but you asked... :)   The 8085 is a single voltage
>>version of the 8080 8-bit processor.  The 8080/8085 had a horrible
>>archiecture - no relative branch instructions, thus no relocatable code and
>>only two memory operand address modes (immediate and HL register-indirect).
>
>Oops, ok, thank you for your "enlightment", then I take everything back. I
had
>really thought that the only difference between the 8086 and 8085 was the
seg-
>menting scheme that made the 8086 administrate 1MB of RAM (or whatever).
>I have just heard that the 8080-family splitted after the 8085 to the 8086
>and the Z80 ...

I never played with a Z80, but it was a Zilog 8-bit CPU.  I think it used
an enhanced superset of the 8080 instruction set (to take advantage of all
the existing 8080 code *grin*).  I remember it being a favorite of the
S-100 crowd and, of course, it was in Radio Shack's TRS-80.

Them were the days...  When microcomputers were just a fun hobby...

I think I still have a few working 2102 memory chips... Anyone want to buy
some 1Kx1 bit static memory chips?  Fast 500ns access times...  Only 8
chips needed for 1K bytes of memory...  *grin*

- Sanford