[rc5] Defection and disintegration

Bryan Talbot btalbot at qualcomm.com
Wed Aug 6 16:51:22 EDT 1997

The linux p5 client is about 10% faster on the machines I just tried it
out on.  No new feature that I noticed, but that client didn't need any
for me anyway.  Now for a multi-threaded win32 client that can run on
all the Quad Ppro's we have without having to run four separate
processes!

Stuart Anthony wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Murray Stokely wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Ryan Dumperth wrote:
> > % Would one of the Bovine admins *please* respond to all these posts
>
> > % concerning the future of distributed.net? Your silence is
> deafening.
> >

> Ok, I'll take time from porting the new 2.003 clients to post here...
>
> Yes, 2.003 is out.  We're currently compiling them on as many
> platforms as
> possible. They're faster than the current 2.002 client (196Kkeys on a
> Ultra-1 Sparc compared to 139Kkeys, 189Kkeys on a P150 in NT4.0
> compared
> to 181Kkeys...)
>
> The main problems that have been plaguging stats are being worked on.
> The
> logjam was due to Real Life problems of some of the people getting the
>
> boot from school/etc...  Sorry, most of us are doing this in our spare
>
> time and do work a job.
>
> The stats have been handed over to someone else, to distribute (wow)
> the
> load from a central person.  Expect them to be working soon and be
> more
> feature laden.
>
> And for the defectors, well, when ya see you have
> to have 3 different .exe's, and there are other ini files/cache files,
>
> greater problems getting keys...
>
> --Pete
>
> The cows are tromping all over America. Cows can replicate. They're
> being born all over the world. There's plenty of beef available!
>                 -- US Representative Zoe Lofgren (D-Ca)
>
> ----
> rc5' in the body.

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this message, in any
manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the
universe.  Although no liability is implied herein, the reader
is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat
death of the universe.