[rc5] What will happen

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Thu Aug 7 05:03:23 EDT 1997

>Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 16:25:45 -0400
>From: Curtis Brown <shazam at pobox.com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] What will happend

>>>And be in violation of the contract you have entered with bovine.
>>
>>Say what? Have some folks entered into a contract with bovine?

Not me - I didn't sign anything.

>>Van
>
>Well, by using the Bovine software, you have agreed to the terms of
>licencing.

Rhubarb and other such words of derision.  Exactly which law enforces this
in ever country on Earth?

>Perhaps a little ambiguous, this information *is* on the Bovine
>homepage, as quoted below:
>
>"Should we manage to find the magic key, $1,000 will go to the email/group
>that found the key. $1,000 will go to the people that coordinated this
>effort to replace all the caffinated beverages they drank working on it.
>And $8,000 will be donated to Project Gutenberg, who turn books into
>digital text for all to read."
>
>Of course, if you find the key some other way, then this does not apply.

Nor does this apply to me, for example, under *any* circumstances.  I've
not agreed to *anything* - and no so-called `license agreement' of that
nature has *ever* been tested in an English court - to the best of my
knowledge, such psuedo-legal waffle wouldn't be worth the paper it were
written on if it were written on paper.

Of course, software is packaged with plenty of that sort of rubbish, but it
doesn't mean a thing.  I've even noticed that AOL requires its British
subscribers to provide their `legal name' when subscribing - AOL's
expensive lawyers being apparently unaware that there is no such thing as a
person's `legal name' in Britain.

Not that I have the slightest intention of doing the dirty on the
miserable, uncomminicative wossnames running this effort - but I'm
certainly under no legal obligation to do *anything* for them.

Rowland.