[rc5] 2.003 clients out!

Joshua Weage weage at mtu.edu
Thu Aug 7 10:56:57 EDT 1997

> On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Dmitry I. Valetin wrote:
>

> > Peple! What about SUN Super Sparc`s ???
> > Do you support them?
> > Or should I forget about this and use rc5v2b2-sunos53-supersparc?
> > (Old and slow)
>
> Just download the ultra-sparc client and run it...
>
> It still works, and I get a 59Kkeys/sec compared to 53Kkeys/sec with the
> 2.002 client on a sparc 10, and 194Kkeys/sec comared to 139Kkeys/sec on an
> ultra...

	Which is still less than Remi's v1 code which runs at
230Kkeys/sec on my ultra's.  I thought his optimizations were going
to be included?
	I have to agree with a lot of people who are switching
to Cyberian.  There seems to be a huge lack of resources
with the core team, but it appears that they are beginning
to incorporate more people in the work.  After coming from Deschall,
which ran incredibly smooth, I'm a bit dissappointed by
this project.  Deschall's philosophy was more of the don't fix
it if it ain't broke type.  Is there really a good reason to
be adding in more features to the clients, or would time be
better spent improving the crunching code and getting some
basic stats up and running?  As long as the clients work,
stats and speed should be the priority.
	I have seen this question asked before, but haven't seen
an answer.  If I run 22 clients off of the same directory, what
is going to happen to the buffer files?

Josh

- Joshua Weage  weage at mtu.edu  http://www.me.mtu.edu/~weage    -
- "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security   -
-  of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear   -
-  arms, shall not be infringed."                              -
-           Second Amendment U.S. Constitution                 -