[rc5] 2.003 clients out!

Stuart Anthony denitto at llamas.net
Thu Aug 7 12:32:02 EDT 1997

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Joshua Weage wrote:

> > On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Dmitry I. Valetin wrote:
> >

> > > Peple! What about SUN Super Sparc`s ???
> > > Do you support them?
> > > Or should I forget about this and use rc5v2b2-sunos53-supersparc?
> > > (Old and slow)
> >
> > Just download the ultra-sparc client and run it...
> >
> > It still works, and I get a 59Kkeys/sec compared to 53Kkeys/sec with the
> > 2.002 client on a sparc 10, and 194Kkeys/sec comared to 139Kkeys/sec on an
> > ultra...
> >
> 	Which is still less than Remi's v1 code which runs at
> 230Kkeys/sec on my ultra's.  I thought his optimizations were going
> to be included?

Well, I should have stated My Ultra-1/150...

I haven't tested it on the other Ultras I have access to.

> it if it ain't broke type.  Is there really a good reason to
> be adding in more features to the clients, or would time be
> better spent improving the crunching code and getting some
> basic stats up and running?  As long as the clients work,
> stats and speed should be the priority.

People ask for the features.  You may not read it here, but we see it on
irc.

Such as your question...
(Which...<nudge Nugget> should get its way into the faq...)

> 	I have seen this question asked before, but haven't seen
> an answer.  If I run 22 clients off of the same directory, what
> is going to happen to the buffer files?

You should have no problems running the client in the same directory.
They will all use the same buffer file.  Locking? Yes, it does do file
locking, so it's not unusual (rather, it's normal and non-corrupting) to
see an client error such as Buffer is locked 1 - waiting 1 second...
Means that another client is either reading/writing to the buffer.

I've run the v2 clients on a NIS+ lan of 28 machines and had no problems.

An expected quirk - whichever client gets to the end of the in buffer will
do the -update, so that machine will get credit for the keys in the out
buffer... so you'll have machines show up in the stats with skewed rates.
:)

--Pete

The cows are tromping all over America. Cows can replicate. They're
being born all over the world. There's plenty of beef available!
		-- US Representative Zoe Lofgren (D-Ca)