[rc5] 2.004 Bug (?) Report

Bryan Talbot btalbot at qualcomm.com
Thu Aug 7 16:12:24 EDT 1997

I've noticed this behavor too, but only when running on some version of
unix.  The linux and solaris x86 clients I've tried both incorrectly
detect the CPU type.  The win NT clients seem to always get it right,
however.  I've only tried this with Pentium and PPro CPUs.  The machines
are Solaris x86 5.5.1 and Linux 1.2.x and 2.0.x kernels.

Sean McPherson wrote:

> System: Dual P200 Classic (Non-MMX)
>         128 MB Ram / 512k Cache
>         Linux 2.1.47/2.0.30 (1 CPU enabled in 2.0.30)
>
> Problem:
>         Client autodetecting proper code to run; changes each time
> with no
> apparant order. 9 test of rc5v2.004 -benchmark resulted in the
> following:
>
> Automatically Selecting Intel Pentium Pro/Pentium II optimized code
> Automatically Selecting Intel 386/486 optimized code
> Automatically Selecting Intel Pentium Pro/Pentium II optimized code
> Automatically Selecting Cyrix/IBM 6x86 optimized code
> Automatically Selecting AMD K5 optimized code
> Automatically Selecting AMD K5 optimized code
> Automatically Selecting AMD K5 optimized code
> Automatically Selecting AMD K5 optimized code
> Automatically Selecting Cyrix/IBM 6x86 optimized code
>
>         Exact same processes running the entire time (nothing but the
> VERY
> basic system processes and the 1 shell. No X, sendmail, news, httpd,
> etc).
> Same thing happens (in a different order, still random) if I use
> stable
> Linux 2.0.30 (with only 1 CPU enabled).
>
> Any Ideas? Further information available on request; didn't want to
> flood
> the list :)
>
> --
> Sean McPherson
> sean at ntr.net
> Systems Administration
> NTR.Net Corporation
> --
> REALITY.SYS corrupted. Reboot universe? [Y n]
> ----
> rc5' in the body.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO READERS:  The entire physical universe,
including this message, may one day collapse back into an
infinitesimally small space.  Should another universe subsequently
re-emerge, the existence of this message in that universe cannot
be guaranteed.