[rc5] Re: Supercomputers & Bovine, Q&A

Fri Aug 8 10:35:24 EDT 1997

On Mon, 04 Aug 1997 23:37:54 +0200 (MET DST), Carsten Jacobi wrote:

>It has been claimed so often that the x86-technology is on the
>end of its development and it has never become true so far ...

I remember this claim when the 80286 was going to be the "last of this breed".   Then the 80386 was the end of the line.  Then the 486, which was "only possible by integrating the FPU on the chip". Pentium "will never be successful" because " with that many transistors, the yeild will be to low" and "heat problems will melt nearby components".  And of course "640k ought to be enough for anyone".   And "man will never fly", "the earth is the center of the universe", and "the world is flat".

Skip Huffman
Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office
Quality Group