[rc5] 2.004 Bug (?) Report

Steffan Davies steff at mad.scientist.com
Fri Aug 8 17:01:27 EDT 1997

Skip Huffman wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 1997 17:26:53 -0500, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
>
> >I noticed it in the Linux, and NT/95 versions... they all get it wrong...
>
> OS/2 also.  But it is simple enough to select option 14 from -config.  The problem will arise when you have several systems with different processors running from the same directory.

Actually, I've done a benchmark with all the available optimisations,
and despite misidentifying my AMD 486-160 as a 6x86, the client has it
right... the 6x86 code is fastest on my machine. I imagine the code for
different processors works better with some cacheing architectures or
some such, and thus the "wrong" code is sometimes best.

Steff