[rc5] feature not yet implemented?

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Fri Aug 8 22:46:15 EDT 1997

A while back, I remember people requesting a feature that would make rc5 go
into a mode so that it wouldn't do *any* network communications, and simply
run off the buffer file.  I didn't used to think this was necessary until
now when I setup my 486/66 (which is still running windows 3.11, and will
be for a while) with the rc5v2b4 win16 client.  The problem currently is
that rc5v2b4 seems to require the TCP stack to be initialized before it
will ever start running!  As a result, when I start the client, it
auto-starts trumpet winsock, which I must let dial and connect before rc5
will start running.  (Luckily, I can disconnect once RC5 starts running...)

Since I have my 486/66 system networked with my primary computer (which I
use to report blocks with on a daily basis), it would be much nicer if I
could simply start the client on the win 3.11 machine and not have to go
through the trouble of getting internet communications working first.  Is
there any plan to have this buff-file-only feature in rc5v2b5?

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com