[rc5] Yes, K6 is faster with 386/486 optimizations

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Fri Aug 8 23:24:55 EDT 1997

> ----------
> If my message caused mass hysteria, I'm sorry.  However, as it's now
Friday
> night, we won't know more information until Monday, at which point we can
> start to determine if I'm truly right or wrong.
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack
> silby at execpc.com

Guess we won't have to wait... well, I was partially accurate, here's what
I just found in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips group:

-----
Michael Clark wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Aug 1997 12:01:39 -0400, Sales <sales at passportcomputer.com>
> wrote:
>
> >There's an ugly rumor flying from two of our suppliers that the
> >6x86MX-P200 is unstable and that there is a recall.  Has anyone heard
> >and can confirm or deny this rumor?
> >
> Sounds like a pretty ugly rumor to me.  No truth to it though.

  No recall - but the major distributors had the option of returning
their existing stock to be retested by Cyrix... The 6x86MX PR166 was a
2.5x60=150MHz part - now it's a 2x66=133MHz, the PR200 was a
2.5x66=166MHz part - looks like they are now 2x75=150MHz. Distributors
are just now getting replacement stock, we're now told the PR233 isn't
due until mid to late Sept. now. Looks like Cyrix has been having
problems...
--
  John Howland - MoBo's, CPU's and More
  Specialty Tech, Irvine, Calif. USA (714)581-4421

  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jhowland
-----

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com