[rc5] Yes, K6 is faster with 386/486 optimizations

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Fri Aug 8 23:32:40 EDT 1997

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 22:24:55 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:

>  No recall - but the major distributors had the option of returning
>their existing stock to be retested by Cyrix... The 6x86MX PR166 was a
>2.5x60=150MHz part - now it's a 2x66=133MHz, the PR200 was a
>2.5x66=166MHz part - looks like they are now 2x75=150MHz. Distributors
>are just now getting replacement stock, we're now told the PR233 isn't
>due until mid to late Sept. now. Looks like Cyrix has been having
>problems...

OK, here's my experience (since I own one).  The thing runs BLOODY HOT.
 It also runs BLOODY FAST.  With my PC Power and Cooling CPU fan/heat
sink, it runs just fine, even cracking RC5 all day, but the other day
my apartment got really hot (about 80) and I did have a lockup, I
assume from heat.  I'm thinking about getting a peltier cooler.  I will
pitch a bitch about it with Cyrix, especially if the price falls
because of it.  If they're repackaging the chips to as 2*75 chips, they
were originally spec'ed a 2.5*66, so there's no danger except heat in
running them there.  :)

Colin L. Hildinger