[rc5] Yes, K6 is faster with 386/486 optimizations

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Sat Aug 9 10:46:59 EDT 1997

----------
> On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 22:24:55 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>
> >  No recall - but the major distributors had the option of returning
> >their existing stock to be retested by Cyrix... The 6x86MX PR166 was a
> >2.5x60=150MHz part - now it's a 2x66=133MHz, the PR200 was a
> >2.5x66=166MHz part - looks like they are now 2x75=150MHz. Distributors
> >are just now getting replacement stock, we're now told the PR233 isn't
> >due until mid to late Sept. now. Looks like Cyrix has been having
> >problems...
>
> OK, here's my experience (since I own one).  The thing runs BLOODY HOT.
>  It also runs BLOODY FAST.  With my PC Power and Cooling CPU fan/heat
> sink, it runs just fine, even cracking RC5 all day, but the other day
> my apartment got really hot (about 80) and I did have a lockup, I
> assume from heat.  I'm thinking about getting a peltier cooler.  I will
> pitch a bitch about it with Cyrix, especially if the price falls
> because of it.  If they're repackaging the chips to as 2*75 chips, they
> were originally spec'ed a 2.5*66, so there's no danger except heat in
> running them there.  :)
>

> Colin L. Hildinger

You might want to visit
http://www.cs-ka.de/tillmann.steinbrecher/heatsink.htm - the guy there has
some tips on what kind of heatsinks to buy and which to not buy; I've heard
that PC Power and Cooling ones are actually quite small in comparison to
some others, so you may consider switching.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com