[rc5] New Cyberian team!

Evan Vetere vetere at avara.com
Sat Aug 9 12:48:36 EDT 1997

> The cyberian effort, a competiting effort with Bovine that has
[snip]
>  - proactive developers

Says Merriam-Webster
-
Main Entry: proАacАtive
Pronunciation: (")prO-'ak-tiv
Function: adjective
Date: 1933
1 [1pro-] : relating to, caused by, or being interference between previous learning and the recall or performance of later
learning <proactive inhibition of memory>
2 [2pro- + reactive] : acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes
-
So, your developers are proactive, eh?
I'll assume you use the latter definition.

Your developers anticipated the Bovine project, did they? And they 'reacted' by starting the Cyberian effort to hop along behind ours like some estranged puppy dog?

No. Rather, your developers are too blind to see that they have 1/10th the chance of getting the key compared to Bovine, and yet they're still too stubborn to do anything about it. Doesnt seem very proactive to me.

I think 'anticipating future problems, needs, or changes' applies quite well to our coders, however.

Duncan is designing a client that can switch seamlessly between tasks such as RC5 and Mersenne Primes, preventing the loss of any speed when we do find the key. That sounds pretty dern proactive toe.

Bovine and a few others are designing a stats network - and have been since before DesCHALL died - that can handle the imense load of a distributed computing network larger than any physical computer in existence -before- it exists. So when we do grow to teraflop size, if ever, we'll be ready. Also proactive.

These are only our two main developers. They both embody proactive.

I look forward to seeing examples of such behavior from cyberian - though not on this mailing list, please. This is a Bovine list.

-Evan Vetere
vetere at ethereal.net