[rc5] REPOST: Re: This is a Bovine list!

Curtis Brown shazam at pobox.com
Sun Aug 10 15:40:23 EDT 1997

I posted this yesterday, but I never saw it on the the list; I have assumed
that something happened to it in transit, and therefore I am reposting it.
If this is the second time you have sen this message, I appologize.

At 12:26 PM 8/9/97 -0500, Eric A. wrote:
>The last time I checked this mailing list was for the Bovine effort.  So
>why am I getting all this Cyberian stuff in my inbox?  Cyberian has its
>own mailing list.  This mailing list is for Bovine.
>
>Eric
>To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo at llamas.net with 'unsubscribe rc5'
in the body.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^
    UNSUBSCRIBE       EMAIL    MAJORDOMO at LLAMAS.NET       UNSUBSCRIBE

You are certainly not the first list member to express this opinion.
Perhaps this reminder of how to UNSUBSCRIBE will be useful to those that
are blowing the S/N way out of proportion.

What can be done?

Well, I suppose there are some creative yet childish things we could do to
change the situation... in fact, this has been going on long enough that I
must admit I've actually thought of quite a few. However, I postulate that
with the size of the "rc5 community" it may indeed be time to make this
list moderated.

Please, don't misunderstand me. I feel that the value and primary purpose
of this list is for people that use or are interestied in the Bovine rc5
software; it is an avenue to discuss problems and dreams regarding the
software, it is a place  for a little bit of good natured rivalry to occur,
and of course it is a place where tangental discussions about parallel and
distributed computing (or computing in general) are bound to be seen.

I feel that there is posetively no need for this list to be used to the
ends of: recruiting, bashing, flaming, or trolling. No recruiting goes for
bovine teams as well, I feel. RECRUITING: An announcement is one thing, but
continuous blather about why team "x" is the best team to member with is
best kept on usenet newsgroups, webpages, and private email. BASHING:
posting stats is a part of what this list is about, but this list is *not*
about Platform Wars -- again, take it to usenet, web, and private email.
FLAMING: posting messages for the sole purpose of cutting someone down is
just about as childish as it gets on the net -- I don't feel I need to say
more on this one. TROLLING: baiting listmembers into lengthy off-topic
tirades -- not for this list.

We can hope that the persons which are spending most of their time here
either recruiting, bashing, flaming, or trolling will go home. If this does
not work, I for one, will volunteer my time as a list moderator so that the
S/N stays at a reasonable level.

-Curtis Brown
Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.