[rc5] Solaris 2.5.1 vs Sunos 551 Client

Bryan Talbot btalbot at qualcomm.com
Mon Aug 11 18:57:55 EDT 1997

As far as I know, SunOS 551 and Solaris 251 are the same thing, just
differant names.  I diffed the binaries and didn't see any differances,
so I'm assuming that they just put out the same binaries with differant
names ... aparently to avoid confusion.

Brian Foddy wrote:

> So what is the difference between the Solaris 2.5.1 Ultra 2 client
> and the SunOS 551 Ultra2 client?  If I'm not
> mistaken, Solaris 2.5.1 is really the Sunos551 operating system
> plus other stuff.  Both claim to be Ultra 2, and I can't
> detect any meaningful speed difference on either a
> Ultra 1-170 (UltraSparc I) or Ultra 2-2300 (UltraSparc II).
>
> Just curious
>
> Brian Foddy
> bkfoddy at skypoint.com
> Eagan, MN  USA
>
> ----
> rc5' in the body.

ADVISORY: There is an extremely small but nonzero chance that,
through a process known as "tunneling" this message may
spontaneously disappear from its present location and reappear at
any random place in the universe, including your neighbor's
domicile.  The sender will not be responsible for any damages or
inconvenience that may result.