[rc5] Solaris 2.5.1 vs Sunos 551 Client

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Mon Aug 11 19:45:42 EDT 1997

At 06:37 PM 8/11/97, Brian Foddy wrote:
>So what is the difference between the Solaris 2.5.1 Ultra 2 client
>and the SunOS 551 Ultra2 client?  If I'm not
>mistaken, Solaris 2.5.1 is really the Sunos551 operating system
>plus other stuff.  Both claim to be Ultra 2, and I can't
>detect any meaningful speed difference on either a
>Ultra 1-170 (UltraSparc I) or Ultra 2-2300 (UltraSparc II).

They are indeed the same, because the sunos one is symbolically linked to
the solaris one.

The reason for the duplication is because 'uname -a' reports SunOS 5.5.1 on
such a machine, and providing the alternative name makes identification of
the proper binary easier for the unclued.  Of course the clued should know
that they are indeed just names for basically the same thing, and also
recognize the fact that they are symbolically linked, but whatever.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lawson     <jlawson at hmc.edu>    http://rc5.distributed.net/
Original Organizer/Programmer of the Bovine RC5 Cracking Effort