[rc5] Network error

Guan Sin Ong cceonggs at segamat.nus.edu.sg
Tue Aug 12 11:13:37 EDT 1997

Fedor Kouranov wrote:

> On 08/11/97 Jeff Lawson <jlawson at hmc.edu> said:
>
> >Network errors are not uncommon if they occur occasionally, and you should
> >only worry if they frequently or always occur for you.  If you are still
> >having trouble retrieving/submitting blocks, then you may indeed have a
> >problem.  Indicate if this is so.
>
> Jeff, Adam & friends... I guess the errors are caused by the v2 protocol
> designed with anti-flooding in mind. Maybe not. Still, network errors *are*
> uncommon on the net. I'm afraid we are giving people another reason to
> switch over. Are you planning to redesign the protocol (or maybe just relax
> the proxies) to eliminate the errors someday?
>
> Oh, yes, these errors annoy me to death.

Oh, no. This network problem occurs much frequent on my site. We have
congested line, therefore I understand why the high frequency. Perhaps
the higher timeout value in 2.004 should help, although I haven't
confirmed that yet.

My guess to the problem posted in this thread: could it be just a
one-off problem caused by the DNS outage announced by Beberg a while
back?

GS