[rc5] Speed freeks with Cyrix, AMD, PPro or RISC machines ?

Marc Sissom msissom at dnaent.com
Thu Aug 14 11:11:01 EDT 1997

At 08:14 PM 7/12/97 +0200, you wrote:

>Now the main cracking routine checks two keys at once. I hope the C
>version will be significantly faster on superscalar RISC-Unix machines.

Have you gotten any reports on the c version and sparcs?

>I've also made separate ASM version for 486, Pentium, Cyrix 6x86 and
>AMD-K5. I will include the PPro ASM version later.

Please? We have several ppros here in the office and your version 2
486 or p5 code is still the fastest for them(except for the cyberian
client). The bovine v2.4 is faster(except for cyberian) on our p5 machines.

>486 and Pentium ASM versions are a bit faster than official V2 clients.
>The *P5* code on a PPro is slightly faster than the V2 P6 client (494 vs
>468 Kkeys/s, tested with "-benchmark").

On a ppro at 233, under NT and no load, the stats are as follows:

486 code:  569K
6x86 code: 524K
p5 code:   569K
bovine v2.4 gui: 537K
cyberian v3.4: 615K  <- so there is still room for improvement!

>Since I can't test the Cyrix and AMD version on real Cyrix and AMD
>processor, I can't tell for sure if these clients are faster or not. But
>I hope a *significant* speedup on these processor, compared to numbers
>posted on the RC5 client speed page.

At home the 6x86 pr166 gets 270K or better with your code under linux.
If you want me to beta-test on a 6x86, my home email is marcus at dfwmm.net
(that's our team name as well).

>PS: Why am I still playing with V1 source code ?
>	- because V2 source code isn't available...
>	- because V2 personal proxies aren't available
>	- because some people needs source code
>	- because I hope that my optimizations will be integrated in (future)
>V2 clients ;-)

Have they(bovine) contacted you yet?

  Marc Sissom               | Design Engineer
  DNA Enterprises, Inc.     | Phone: 972/644-3301
  269 W. Renner Parkway     | Fax: 972/644-6338
  Richardson, Texas 75080   | http://www.dnaent.com