[rc5] rc5v2, linux, K5

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Thu Aug 14 12:24:34 EDT 1997

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:25:38 -0700 (PDT), Nicolas Michal wrote:

>Right now I just want to get some ideas about what the problem could
>possibly be. It is almost like the CPU is overheating, but the machine
>has been under heavy loads before for days at a time without any
>problem.

I think you know the problem, it sounds exactly like heat.  the RC5
client will load it all the way.  Here's some ideas:

*Open up the case and aim a fan into it.  See if that fixes the
problem.

*Underclock your CPU and see if it happens.

*Run Quake for 3 hours straight.  It'll do the same thing as far as CPU
load, but if it's a specific instruction that's locking it, it might
not call it.  So after Quake's been running for 3 hours, start the RC5
client and see how long it takes to lock it up.  I'll bet it will
happen quickly.

Colin L. Hildinger