[rc5] RAM timings

Fedor Kouranov ted99 at ibm.net
Thu Aug 14 15:18:41 EDT 1997

On 08/14/97 "Mike Silbersack" <silby at execpc.com> said:

>From the symptoms, it sounds to me like you have bad ram, or have your ram
>timings set too fast.  Try slowing down your ram timing in your BIOS
>setup, and if that doesn't have any effect, borrow some ram from a friend
>and use it in place of your ram for a few days.

I guess this was raised a pair of months ago, but I didn't see an
authoritative reply. Exactly, how dangerous are overclocking/overtiming if
the validity of rc5 results is concerned? My P6-200 runs pretty stable at
233, and I think that's safe (there's a good fan with alarm). However, I've
been playing with memory and my system occasionally locks up (oh joy ;).
99% of processor time are devoted to rc5 (24/7). What is the probability of
getting a wrong key instead of a crashed client/wps/system?

 /** Christ Is Risen ! *** __+__ ******  Fedor "Ted" Kouranov  *****/
 /* Xristos Voskrese ! **   \|    ** ted99 at ibm.net * fedor at bu.edu **/
 /** Xristos Anesti ! ****   |\  ** http://enz.siobc.ras.ru/~fedor */