[rc5] rc5v2, linux, K5

Curtis Brown shazam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 17:35:54 EDT 1997

At 11:24 AM 8/14/97 -0500, Colin wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:25:38 -0700 (PDT), Nicolas Michal wrote:
>
>>Right now I just want to get some ideas about what the problem could
>>possibly be. It is almost like the CPU is overheating, but the machine
>>has been under heavy loads before for days at a time without any
>>problem.
>
>I think you know the problem, it sounds exactly like heat.  the RC5
>client will load it all the way.  Here's some ideas:

I would be inclined to agree. I have a p100 running RH linux 2.0.27. It has
run the v2 and v4 bovine clients for weeks on end without even re-starting
the client (I use an other vtty to run -update).

Personally, I run my systems open-air-style. This means that with just a
glance I can tell if the fan is clean/functioning for one; sure a bit of
cat fur gets in there, but at least its not being sucked in through the
floppy and CD-rom drives!

Ultimately, what I'd like to do is just put a filtered 4" fan into the wall
of the case (blowing toward the CPU), or perhaps a Peltier(sp) cooler.
(much more important for my 200 than my 100, though). In fact, my 100 runs
nice and cool even on hot days when it's in its skivies. Its the 200mmx
with 4 drives, internal modem, and 3dfx card that really produces the heat!
that baby currently runs around 90+ fahrenheight.

gotta do something about that. but the client has never crashed on the hot
system, either.

-Curtis
shazam at pobox.com
RC5-56 today, Deep Blue tomorrow. Visit
http://rc5.distributed.net

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS:  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II,  227, any and all nonsolicited
commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.