[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #85

Curtis Brown shazam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 19:09:18 EDT 1997

At 10:15 PM 8/14/97 +0100, Rodger wrote:
>Is it now possible, via the new clients, for me to go on a two-week vacation?

sure, with a litle help.

>My network connection costs about 10 cents for each dial-up connection
>made. Ideally, I'd like to buffer a few hundred blocks, then have the
>client dial-up to report, grab a few hundred more blocks, then hang-up.
>The last time I tried this, my client grabbed 20 blocks, generated a
>hundred or so random blocks, and then choked to death, unable to open a
>network connection. (win nt running on an ibm-compat)

First, be sure you're using the new v4 client. It can buffer 200 blocks.

Second, run a scheduling program that (depending on the speed of your
computer) dials your ISP once a day, and launches the client with the
-update option.

that's all there is to it.

-CB

shazam at pobox.com
RC5-56 today, Deep Blue tomorrow. Visit
http://rc5.distributed.net

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS:  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II,  227, any and all nonsolicited
commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.