[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #85

Tim Charron tcharron at interlog.com
Thu Aug 14 21:59:52 EDT 1997

Thus spoke Fedor Kouranov <ted99 at ibm.net>:
> On 08/14/97 "Roger A. Wong" <rogerw at bigfoot.com> said:
>
> >The last time I tried this, my client grabbed 20 blocks, generated a
> >hundred or so random blocks, and then choked to death, unable to open a
> >network connection. (win nt running on an ibm-compat)
>
> The new clients' buffer is now limited to 200 blocks (thanks guys!). You
> can max it out through -config or by editing the ini. On a P6-233 it takes
> ~26.5 hours to work through 200 blocks. On a P5-100 - ~5.5 days. You can
> launch another copy of client with -update every time you dial up. This
> will cost you exactly nothing if you do it every time you check your email.
> If you're considering a long vacation you can try writing a sofisticated
> script that would swap buffer files or perhaps a dial-on-demand feature.

If you're looking for simple, then consider running multiple copies
of the client at once on your machine, in separate directories.

If you run (for example) 4 copies, then you'll have 800 blocks.  Each
copy will run at 25% of full speed (minus some overhead).  It'll be a
while before you need to connect.

Tim Charron
tcharron at interlog.com
tcharron at ctfinance.com