[rc5] Stats question

Tim Charron tcharron at interlog.com
Thu Aug 14 22:12:08 EDT 1997

> I agree.  I think that the current contribution is much more important
> than the cumulative contribution.  A team with a faster current
> contribution has a greater chance of finding the key.  The cumulative
> contribution has no effect on a team's chance of finding the key.

For some time now, I have been maintaining such information.  I've
got a process that extracts the top 100 emails (and hosts when they
become available again) every day.  Based on the number of new
blocks submitted, it calculates the speeds, and ranks by this.

Due to all of the recent stats 'noise', the information for Aug 13
will look funny.  The missing data was merged in since the last
'top 100'  was available.  As well, it (Aug 5, I think) was suspect.
Nonetheless, once Aug 14 23:59:00 becomes available, the calculated
speeds will make more sense.  The pages are at:

	http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/exec.htm
	http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/email.htm
	http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/hosts.htm
(These are currently updated daily at 07:00 GMT)

Fear not.  I've been told that the new stats engine makes it possible
to generate this kind of information from the data that is being
collected, even for non top-100.  This and other cool stuff is all on
the way from the new stats team.  I am personally quite impressed
with what they've done so far, and can't wait to see what else
they've got in store for us.

-- Tim

Tim Charron
tcharron at interlog.com