[rc5] rc5v2, linux, K5

Ethan M. O'Connor zudark at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 14 22:47:02 EDT 1997

At 07:20 PM 8/14/97, you wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:25:44 -0700 (PDT), Mark Ayzenshteyn wrote:
>
>>On my cyrix 6X86 this problem is due to the CPU overheating. Its basically
>>under 100% percent load 24/7 and the 6X86s run hot anyway.
>>
>>Mark
>

>Mark, I'm not a hardware expert, but unless you slow down
>the CPU with a power saver or something, I don't think
>it make any difference whether your CPU is running RC5,
>full load on something else, or sitting idle.  They produce
>the same amount of heat.

This is incorrect... essentially all modern CPUs shutdown units
that aren't being used at the time... everything from execution units
to decoders to IO buffers. This is all completely independent of any
APM or other BIOS/OS level power management. A Pentium Pro running at
233Mhz will
generate anywhere from less than ten to the high thirty's of watts
depending on the instruction stream it encounters. Intel's thermal testing
guidelines, strangely enough, say the easiest way to drive a Pentium to the
maximum (integer only) heat is simple to open EDIT under DOS, pull a menu
down,
and leave it that way :)

-Ethan O'Connor
zudark at mit.edu