[rc5] Speed freeks with Cyrix, AMD, PPro or RISC machines ?

Jot Powers jot at tmp.medtronic.com
Fri Aug 15 09:23:18 EDT 1997

> Set up a crontab to launch it every day at 5:00pm, then set
> the preferences to stop after 15 hours.  Works fine.  It
> does leave a whole on weekends but its better than nothing.

Well, see the problem is I went ahead and wrote a perl program
that I can from cron every hour that looks at the current time,
checks to see if a machine is running, looks at the day of week
and then decides how long to run for.  So, to switch to a simple
cron, or to change everything to make it re-write the .ini file
every hour is a pain.  This has the advantage of running, even
if a machine reboots.  It works fairly well.

Oh, and those holes on the weekend would cause me to lose several
thousand blocks a weekend.

-Jot

--
Jot Powers
Unix System Administrator, Medtronic Micro-Rel
jot at tmp.medtronic.com
"Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the tail and face the situation."