[rc5] Graceful shutdown?

Curtis Brown shazam at pobox.com
Sat Aug 16 18:33:57 EDT 1997

At 12:13 PM 8/16/97 -0700, Robert Fowler wrote:
>How do I get the client to finish processing all the blocks it has and
>upload the results w/o downloading any more blocks?
>
>I'm have a machine that will be processing off and on, and when it's off
> I don't want to have any blocks 'stuck' in it's buffer.  (I only use my
>home machine once in a while, like once a week).

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it  :)

1) to just upload your completed blocks while your network connection is
up, you can run an instance of the client with the "-flush" option.

2) once the client runs out of blocks, it will try to get more; disable
your network connection if you want to prevent the client from downloading
any more blocks.

3) an alternative might be to email or sneakernet (floppy) the "buff-in"
file to your other computer...

-Curtis

shazam at pobox.com
RC5-56 today, Deep Blue tomorrow. Visit
http://rc5.distributed.net

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS:  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II,  227, any and all nonsolicited
commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.