[rc5] v2.004+ buffer tricks...

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Sun Aug 17 18:03:04 EDT 1997

> I have found that the buff-in file is a stack, not a queue.
> So if you keep filling it up constantly, you may never
> process the first blocks you downloaded.  Yes I know
> all about the statistical odds of one block being
> as likely as the next.  But it still seems like
> a pitty to run through all 100% of the keys when the
> magic key was doenloaded months ago.

It would be interesting if someone could create a statistic that would tell
whether blocks were being submitted manually by users (with the buffer
never fully emptying), or whether the buffers were being auto-emptied and
re-filled.  I'd guess that the former would be the case, in which case I'd
give the chances of this happening a low, but important probability.  So, I
agree with you; I'd hate to be the guilty party who has the magic block
sitting on his harddrive for months on end; but I also don't want my
computer to sit idle overnight while it waits for me to establish a dial-up
networking connection.

Is the buff-in.rc5 file planned to be restructured in the near future,
great development team?

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com