[rc5] Some Deep questions

Ryan Dumperth woodie at indy.net
Mon Aug 18 00:26:01 EDT 1997

>Specifically, how are the results checked?  What knows
>when we've hit the right key?  Does the client, do the
>servers?  And how do they know it?

http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/97challenge/html/rules.html

RSA has made it clear what they did to the plaintext to come up with the
ciphertext. The only thing we haven't been told is the secret key. It is my
understanding that the client looks for "The unknown message is:" or some
portion thereof at the beginning of the decrypted text being tested. Your
concerns would be valid if RSA had been secretive or just plain nasty.
Thankfully, we can be sure that someone will get the money, as they have
kept it relatively simple.

Ryan