[rc5] How long this could take....

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Mon Aug 18 08:05:58 EDT 1997

----------
> 2) I'm new to the cracking effort, and have been running some of the
> numbers through my head.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Rate of key examination on Aug 16:	3,025,448,000 keys/sec
> Percentage of keyspace exhausted:	14.4%

Actually, we're already higher than this; there is a week or so of lost
statistics that will hopefully be re-integrated soon.

> According to my very approximate math, we'll hit the halfway point in
> another 80 days, rather than my original 98, and we'll exhaust the entire
> keyspace in only 157 more days, instead of 235. We could have this thing
in
> the bag before Xmas. (Doncha just love cumulative growth?)
>
> I hope I haven't just re-hashed something that has already been discussed
> to death.  If so, I implore you to ignore this post and just send me a
> teeny message to the tune of "been there, sonny".  If this isn't old
news,
> then I'd really like to hear from someone who can calculate an
approximate
> growth curve for the projects overall processing power.
>
> ---
> Rik Ling
> It's a mad mad world.  Only the fully sane are truly crazy.

Well, to tell you the truth, most of us have been more worried about all
the people who left to go over to the cyberian effort in the recent past.
I'm guessing (although I'm not exactly sure) that a few weeks ago we
actually had a *higher* keyrate, lost some people, but have our keyrate
growing, once again.  In fact, there was a graph showing growth at an
earlier time... (perhaps some of this could included in the stats, nugget?)

So, you have partially re-hashed, but it's probably good that you did, as
it has brought us back on track in this mailing list. <g>

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com